From .ili to .gpkg

Hi, I’m rather new to working with geodata and completely new to interlis, and I would like to know what I need to do to convert .ili to .gpkg. The .ili file I’m working with is this one: geocat.ch, After reading all the information online (geocat, here, github, etc…), I still don’t know how to do this. It seems that the .ili file is only the geodata model description, and I still need the interlis transfer file to do this, is it? Can some one point me to an example of the conversion please?

Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome to the INTERLIS forum!

You are on the right path! The .ili file is indeed the model description and you will need a transfer file (.xtf) with the corresponding data. Check out geodienste.ch (german/french/italian only) to get an overview of the available data in the different cantons and download the data you prefer.

To convert the downloaded .xtf to .gpkg you may use the software ili2gpkg and check out its documentation on github (german/spanish). There you will find examples on how to use the tool on the command line.

As an alternative you may use QGIS with the Model Baker plugin installed to import .xtf data in a GPKG database.

I hope this helps to guide you to the right direction. Please report back here when you need further assistance.
Cheers, Stefan

Concerning QGIS Model Baker you can follow this step-by-step guide Model and Data Import Workflow - QGIS Model Baker Documenation